export log to database

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 8 08:25:21 CEST 2008

Francesco Sordillo wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> I am new here. I have a question about NDOUtils.
> I exported a daily log file to nagios_logentries of NDOUtils Database
> model with log2ndo and ndo2db utility.
>
> The log file's size is about 24 MB and nagios_logentries is now 32,6 MB.
> Exporting lasted 6 hours!!!
>
> So I have two question:
>
> 1) It's normal that a log file's size is about 24 MB and the
> corresponding table's size is 32,6 MB???

I think so, yes. The extra space is taken up by indexing.

> 2) It's normat that for an exporting of 24 MB I need for about 6
> hours???

Well, it's sort of normal, but it's not good. For some reason,
importing logfiles is something ndoutils does extremely slowly.
I haven't looked at the code, but it should be possible to speed
it up considerably. The import program from the reports-module
project happily imports 2-3 gigs of data in 15 minutes or so.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se