Empty hostgroup check in the configuration arbitrary or limitation in nagios core ?

L B bertignac at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:01:09 CET 2008

Hi all,

 I didn't have any feedback from my patch, do you consider this
feature useless ?

As a reminder, I would like Nagios not to raise an error when it
founds an empty hostgroup during the configuration check :

 - I define all my service checks applied to hostgroups, for example
check_ftp applied to ftp-server-hostgroup
 - I define hosts
 - I add the hosts into the relevant hostgroups if I want the service
check to be applied :
   hostgroups +ftp-server-hostgroup,http-server-hostgroup
 - Adding a service check is really easy like this and I can see all
my FTP/HTTP/Whatever servers in the web interface in their hostgroup.

 But to do this, I may have empty hostgroups, and that's normal : I
don't want to have to enable the hostgroup (by removing register 0  in
the service definition or ...)  if I decide to add a host into it.

(why should it be an error to have an empty hostgroup ?)

Thanks!
--
LB

--