[Nagios-users] Nagios client merge NSCA/NRPE

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Wed Nov 5 17:02:06 CET 2008

This idea is fascinating to me -- using a messaging system to return
passive check results.  This would

- allow larger messages
- allow for multiplexing of checks into a single message if the Nagios
server side agent (the program that pulls messages off the queue and
turns them into check results) knows how to do that
- provide a nice way of handling check results if your Nagios server
goes offline (they'll queue up in the messaging system)
- you could potentially even do Pub/Sub with check results to allow
multiple Nagios server to "subscribe" to particular check results
- I would think you could just write some kind of simple program that
could be called on each platform (kind of a send_nsca equivalent) that
sends results to the messaging system.  It's more overhead, but most
prominent messaging systems can use JMS which could make the message
layer mostly vendor agnostic

I too have struggled with NSCA but in my case, it's about sending output
from my distributed servers to the central server(s).  I ended up having
to write my own send_nsca batching-daemon to transfer more efficiently
(and reliably).  I have 2 running -- one to send to my primary Nagios
server and another to the backup.

Mark