Extending Nagios Beyond Monitoring

Limburg, Mark (SAPOL) Mark.Limburg at police.sa.gov.au
Mon Mar 3 23:53:00 CET 2008

Howdy Jon,

I must say, I think you've hit the nail on the head.  It is in the core
business of Nagios to "react" when a flag is noted, and the atypical
response is to send of it's alerts.  Plenty of us tweak the scripts to
suit our own environments, and many of us have augmented our scripts to
do some smarts.

Simple example, there are often a number of "typical" things that a
sysadmin does when an alert comes through.  Is the process stuck, what
exactly is up and down, etc.  On many of our simple checks, we do
automated fixing.  If (when) a java process hangs, I run through a
standard set of actions to see if I can save it, and if I can't, then I
have to kill it.

So long as the script goes through those checks, then there's no reason
why it can't do just the same thing.

Your idea extends the same concept.  Find a state that a script can
react to, and do it.

The key question would be, in my eyes, how to build on Nagios to track
these actions .. or perhaps, is there another engine that it could hook
into?

Just thinking out loud.