Assign services to hosts, instead of hosts to services

Tom Sommer mail at tomsommer.dk
Wed Jun 4 09:26:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a growing pain with Nagios that I thought I might share with you.

I have a lot (!) of servers, and while some of them are generic and thus
grouped, I also have a lot of servers to which I need set up custom
monitoring per host.

This means, correct me if I am wrong, I need to go to each service I want
to apply to a host, and enter it into the "host_name" variable.

The problem is that the variable becomes so huge, that it becomes
impossible to maintain effectively.

Therefore, I suggest the opposite. Add a variable to each host (and host
group), called "services"/"service_group", where you enter a list of
services you want for that host. This means it becomes extremely easy to
setup custom monitoring on a per-host basis.

I migrated from a monitoring system that did this, and I miss it terribly.

Thoughts?

// Tom Sommer

just about anything Open Source.