nrpe RPM spec file bug(s)

SCHAER Frederic frederic.schaer at cea.fr
Thu Jan 10 10:52:22 CET 2008

Hi,

I have to manage servers with hundreds of local unix users created, and
all of these servers must have consistent UIDs/GIDs, just because of
local constraints (NFS for instance).

I also need to monitor these (computing) servers, but I cannot afford
having nrpe / Nagios / nagiosplugins create a nagios user whose UID will
collide with one of those local user IDs.

I don't mind creating my own specfile now that I know what went wrong
last time I installed plugins - actually I did create one as this UID
thing was no option for me -, and I was sharing this experience. You
could say I can create user accounts before RPMs are installed, but
actually it's more complicated for me than having the RPM scripts do it
;)

So, you seem to agree with me the missing "-r" option is a bug at least
for redhat systems spec file, don't you ? I think this option is nice,
I'm wondering if other systems might use the same, which would be
great...