Nagios3-cvs: Possible bug in additive inheritance for escalations

Matthias Eble matthias.eble at mailing.kaufland-informationssysteme.com
Thu Feb 28 15:45:15 CET 2008

Hi Ethan, hi list,

I think I found a bug in additive inheritance for escalations.

here's what the docs say:
 > Service and host escalation definitions can make use of a special rule
 > that combines the features of implied and additive inheritance. If
 > escalations 1) do not inherit the values of their contact_groups or
 > contacts directives from another escalation template and 2) their
 > contact_groups or contacts directives begin with a plus sign (+), then
 >  the values of their corresponding host or service definition's
 > contact_groups or contacts directives will be used in the additive
 > inheritance logic.

with the latests cvs version this doesn't seem work.
I looked at the source and the problem is that
xodtemplate_clean_additive_strings() is called before
xod_template_inherit_object_properties(). But the latter tries to do
some additive inheritance, too. Unfortunately the + signs are gone then.

My suggest would be to move xod_template_inherit_object_properties()
before xodtemplate_clean_additive_strings() so that the inheritance work
is done before the duplication tasks.

Matthias