RFC: Escalations Sets

Marcus Fleige marcus.fleige at de.rhenus.com
Thu Feb 14 17:09:53 CET 2008

Hi Ethan,

first of all, thanks for your feedback.

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> I agree that this could be a useful feature.  You can't do this quite as
> easily as you suggest, but you can at least make use of templates to
> make shorter escalation definitions...
>
> # TEMPLATES
> define serviceescalation{
> 	name			se1-template
> 	first_notification	6
> 	last_notification	9
> 	contact_groups		somegroup
> 	register		0
> 	}
>
> define serviceescalation{
> 	name			se2-template
> 	first_notification	10
> 	last_notification	0
> 	contact_groups		someothergroup
> 	register		0
> 	}
>
> # ESCALATIONS
> define serviceescalation{
> 	use			se1-template
> 	host_name		somehost
> 	service_description	someservice
> 	}
>
> define serviceescalation{
> 	use			se2-template
> 	host_name		somehost
> 	service_description	someservice
> 	}
>
> You can also use hostgroup_name and servicegroup_name directives in
> escalation definitions and * wildcards for the service_description to
> simplify the config.

Yeah, i know that and use it to its max. ;-) A typical escalation looks
like this at the moment:

define serviceescalation{

	use                     esclevel1-17x5-sms

hostgroup_name          foo_hosts

         service_description     Disk Space: /bar

}

define serviceescalation{

	use                     esclevel2-17x5-voice
	hostgroup_name          foo_hosts

	service_description     Disk Space: /bar

}

define serviceescalation{

	use                     esclevel3-17x5-voice

	hostgroup_name          foo_hosts

	service_description     Disk Space: /bar

}

Depending on how many escalation levels you have, the number of
escalations per service changes. So, at the moment, i have three
definitions per service nad hostgroup as a minimum. It would be nice to
be able to consolidate these settings to save a lot of copy and paste.

As a temporary solution, i build a script fetching all services for
hosts specified in a hosts-configfile and write the escalation files for
all services not found in a bypass file. But actually, i think this is
not the most elegant solution.

One more question: is it possible to negate specific services in an
escalation like i am able to negate host in hostgroups in Nagios 3?

Something like this:

define serviceescalation{

	use                     esclevel3-17x5-voice

	hostgroup_name          foo_hosts

	service_description     *, ! Disk Space: /bar

}

Regards,

Marcus