RFC - Feature Template overrides Definition

Mark Eisenblaetter mark.eisenblaetter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 10:58:13 CET 2008

Hi List,

in my last confusing topic I tried to explain a problem I've got with
configuration distribution design with nagios distributed monitoring.

I hope to clarify this topic and present a solution.

It would be nice if you can comment this again.

Actual situation with Nagios 3.x:
If I would make my life easier with configuring nagios for my distributed
system I would define some templates to control the behavior  on the master
or on the slave.

f.e. on the slave a template would define a normal check_command, but no
freshness options.

on the master server the same template name would result in some other
check_command inclusive freshness options and so on.

With this possibility the service definitions on master _and_ on slave
servers would be identically but the different templates on both sides would
control "live checking" or "freshness checking".

But for this it should be possible that a template made directive should be
able to override a directive from the service definition.

I know that the default behavior is the other direction (template ->
service, but service directives are last significant).

Since Nagios 3.x allows a template addition through the "+" notation my
thoughts goes in this direction.
What would be if you were allowed to inject a special character to your
template to override a service definition (for example).

With attached patch I got exactly this behavior.

Thanks

Mark
--
Mark Eisenblätter