Patch for Circular Paths (new algo) 70s->0.007s :)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Feb 1 11:26:49 CET 2008

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> nap wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I finish my patch for the host path part. I try to folow the
>> indentation and the coding style of nagios.
>
> It looks a lot better now. For extra points, remove the hunks that
> only insert whitespace changes.
>
>> you can find test files with a lot of parent/childs at
>> http://zegabes.free.fr/nagios/ .
>>

> What's lacking from that place is the objects.cache using the old
> code and one generated using the new one, especially with multiple
> parents, as well as a diff between them so one can see what, if any,
> the differences are.

I take that back. What's lacking is a proper test-case. If the config
you've been using to test is the one on that site, you haven't even
scratched at the funnier configs one sometimes see.

For now, you're doing a "parent -> 100 children" thing, which is
obviously quite quick and very simple to get correct values for.
Will your algorithm work for something like this?

          parent2                                parent8 ----------
       /          \                            /                   \
parent0 - parent3 - parent5 - parent6 - parent7                     \
       \          /                            \                     \
          parent4                                parent9 - parent10 - endhost

Which is indeed a rather messy and complex scheme, but something that
nagios should handle (it does today, so it has to do so tomorrow too).

Optimizing for speed in the simple (and probably most common cases) is
all fine and good, but if things suddenly break horribly for 15-20% of
the user-base, it isn't worth a thing.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se