Empty hostgroup check in the configuration arbitrary or limitation in nagios core ?

matthias eble matthias.eble at mailing.kaufland-informationssysteme.com
Tue Dec 2 13:42:09 CET 2008

Hi all,

> Actually, what you want is that services linking to empty but
> existing hostgroups should not warn. Empty hostgroups are already
> valid in Nagios, but they cannot (currently) be used for assigning
> services in such a way that the service definition is ignored.

I've sometimes reached to this "limitation" also.

> In order to make the patch queueable, you'll have to make sure that
> it still errors out in the following conditions:
> * a hostgroup_name is given but not found
> * a host_name is given but not found
> * neither host_name nor hostgroup_name is given, and "register" is 1

A simple solution would be to add a new value to the register keyword.
The appended patch-stub prevents registering services with empty
memberlists as long as "register" is set to -1. Thus backward
compatibility is still provided.

There might also be other object types that could make use of this.

Matthias