Orphan hosts in hostgroup list

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 11 15:26:01 CEST 2008

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

>>> I've done some improvements. The groups are only created for the CGIs
>>> if the config variables are set to 1. So now I've earned the extra
>>> points :) Just kidding...

>>> The default is: they are not created in the main Nagios program. And
>>> the default for the CGIs is: they aren't created (and thus shown).
>>>
>>> If you like to apply them I've added extra parts for the config and
>>> html files, too.
>>>
>>> And now I know how to create one diff file for all changed files with
>>> cvs. By the way, is there an approach replacing cvs by subversion?
>>>
>> Why replace crap with crap? I'll get Ethan drunk in Germany during the
>> Netways conference and make him promise to swap to a distributed vcs. ;-)
>>

> You have my backing on this. I had plans to move Nagios-plugins to Git
> after the last release; I've been so busy lately that I just didn't had
> time yet :)

Ye, I remember a bit of conversation about that a month or two back.

> Do you have any suggestion on git hosting sites? I was thinking or
> either Gitorious or repo.or.cz. IMO Gitorious is a bit nicer in term or
> presenting projects and members, but it doesn't looks like it has some
> of the useful features of gitweb.
>
> G-Forge beta has a Git plugin too, do maybe NagiosForge could integrate
> it, so it could be used by Nagios and NagiosPlugins...

The good thing about a distributed vcs is that you don't have to pick
just one ;-)

repo.or.cz is probably the most technically advanced under the hood,
as Pasky has been one of the 10-20 hardcore git enthusiasts since day 1.

github is nice because it's professionally driven. The free hosting is
used by some pretty large projects, and by quite a few at that (some
12806, according to a roughly week-old post on the git mailing list).
Their maintainers are also very conscientious about staying on top of
the core git development, so you can be fairly sure it's always running
the latest stable.

gforge seems primarly svn/cvs centric.

gitorious hasn't got such a very nice ui imo. Listing projects, and
in single-column at that, indicates to me that they haven't really
planned for growing a lot, so they might run into performance problems
in case that happens.

If I was you, I'd sign up with all the free ones and just try out how
they are regarding performance, userfriendliness and stability. When
you've found one you like, just announce the git:// URL on the nagiosplug
sourceforge page and here on the nagiosplug-devel mailing list.

If none of the free ones work out as you hope I'm sure we could host
it at www.op5.org, although we'll probably be mirroring it there anyway,
so it could make sense to have the master somewhere else.

Trackers and stuff can remain at sourceforge indefinitely, so people
don't have to learn several new tools at once.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se