Why distinguish hosts from services?

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Aug 7 14:19:23 CEST 2008

On 7 Aug 2008, at 12:48, matthias eble wrote:

> Beside that, the states for hosts and services differ (hosts have an
> unreachable state as well as state texts differ). With one monitoring
> object, unreachable states would automatically be valid for services,
> too.

What if the state was renamed from "UNREACHABLE" to "DEPENDENT"? I can
see all services go into a calculated state of DEPENDENT, like hosts
do now.

I think the difficulty is trying to visualise the dependency tree
(certainly when trying to get the dependency chain right). But then
again, dependencies are a common programming problem (package
dependencies, workflow) and that works by defining at a low level and
leaving the rest to the core dependency logic.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
UK: +44 (0)870 787 9243
US: +1 866 879 9184