minor nsca license nit

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Sun Apr 13 22:30:14 CEST 2008

Michael Thomas wrote:
> I'm preparing a package for nsca for distribution with Fedora, and ran
> into a small nit with respect to the license.  Fedora is getting pretty
> picky about having accurate licensing information for packages, so I was
> hoping that someone here could clear this up.
>
> All of the *.c and *.h sourcce files for nsca claim to be valid for
> GPLv2 and later, except for nsca.c and send_nsca.c which simply say:
>   * License: GPL v2
> That is, these two files omit the 'or (at your option) any later
> version' clause.
>
> Is the intended license for nsca 'GPLv2 only', or 'GPLv2 or later'?  Are
> there any upcoming releases planned that might be able to include this
> clarification?
>
> Regards,
>
> --Wart

It was intended as "GPLv2 only" .  GPLv3 was still under discussion and
fairly contentious, which caused me to change the wording to clarify
things.

I'll have to revisit the GPL 3 changes again to see what effect it might
have - particularly for ISVs and service providers.  I don't want the
license to be too restrictive on usage, but I'm open to comments from
the community on this.

Ethan Galstad
Nagios Developer
___