Antwort: Re: Request for comment: Overhaul of Performance Info

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Apr 4 10:56:10 CEST 2008

Sascha Runschke wrote:
> nagios-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 02.04.2008 14:55:15:
>
>> While I agree this particular info is missing, the active check latency
>> tells you how much you're lagging behind. As long as it's near 0 you're
>> OK, but when it starts to show big latencies (i.e. >30 seconds) even
>> keeps growing then you definitely have a problem.
>
> Yes I know. But the main point was, that the presented percentages
> are more or less useless. The check latency is by far the only real
> relevant information on that page. A fact, that makes the page seem
> to be broken by design to me.
>
>> Also note that service latency is not always a "server performance
>> problem". In Nagios 2.0, host checks are run serially so the time in
>> takes to run host checks can cause latency to grow up pretty fast,
>> especially when you start seeing hosts down.
>>
>> There's other reason for high latencies: perfdata commands, ocsd
>> commands, etc. Ideally you can avoid this by having Nagios write a file
>> or FIFO instead... There's many example out there.
>
> I do know, but that has actually nothing to do with my initial proposal ;)
> This thread was not meant for debugging my performance issues - especially
> since I already solved them last week. ^^ It is more or less just a
> reflection
> of the fact, that the Performance Info was just very useless for actually
> finding out infos about the performance.

The major problem with "timed out" is that plugins can time out on their
own, which I guess is what's causing your 10.01 seconds maximum at all
times. When they do, Nagios has no way of determining if the plugin
completed and got a critical/warning/whatever result "naturally" or if
it hit the expiration timer.

If plugins were being timed out (and killed) by Nagios you'd see a
max execution time of much more than 10 seconds.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

just about anything Open Source.