Antwort: Re: Request for comment: Overhaul of Performance Info

Sascha Runschke Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed Apr 2 15:32:24 CEST 2008

nagios-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 02.04.2008 14:55:15:

> While I agree this particular info is missing, the active check latency
> tells you how much you're lagging behind. As long as it's near 0 you're
> OK, but when it starts to show big latencies (i.e. >30 seconds) even
> keeps growing then you definitely have a problem.

Yes I know. But the main point was, that the presented percentages
are more or less useless. The check latency is by far the only real
relevant information on that page. A fact, that makes the page seem
to be broken by design to me.

> Also note that service latency is not always a "server performance
> problem". In Nagios 2.0, host checks are run serially so the time in
> takes to run host checks can cause latency to grow up pretty fast,
> especially when you start seeing hosts down.
>
> There's other reason for high latencies: perfdata commands, ocsd
> commands, etc. Ideally you can avoid this by having Nagios write a file
> or FIFO instead... There's many example out there.

I do know, but that has actually nothing to do with my initial proposal ;)
This thread was not meant for debugging my performance issues - especially
since I already solved them last week. ^^ It is more or less just a
reflection
of the fact, that the Performance Info was just very useless for actually
finding out infos about the performance.

Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk-  und  Systemmanagement
Telefon : +49 (201) 102-1879 Mobil : +49 (173) 5419665 Fax : +49 (201)
102-1102105

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522