Nagios external commands (2)

Tobias Mucke tobias.mucke at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:08:31 CEST 2007

Hi Andreas, hi list,

agreed. It does not make much sense for Nagios itself to use the XML
file, that is why I suggested (sorry for this dirty ASCII art):

API -> description -> documentation

and not

documentation
        ^

description -> API

Anyway this is much better than

API ------ manually intervention ---------> documentation

So you just have to maintain the description ofcourse with some
details for usage and meaning of the defined commands and than
generate your documentation out of it.

After implementing the CLI my next step will be to generate the
documentation. May I therefor copy some command descriptions out of
the actual documentation into my XML file? This is just for demo
purposes. If you like the result we can discuss further steps.

Ofcourse XML is a little bit longer but in my opinion it is the most
flexible and understandable format. XML parsing in Java is not really
problem, in C nobody wants to do it actually. ;-)
Maybe you got this wrong: I never wanted to understand Nagios XML code
nor writing XML code into the pipe.

If have some time at the weekend to go further. The CLI is just a
first little step. Documentation generation will be the next.

Thanks again.

Tobias