Nagios external commands (2)

Tobias Mucke tobias.mucke at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:46:40 CEST 2007

Hi Nagios developers, hi Ethan,

I am refering to my first post concerning this topic in June this
year. Now I have a draft of a proposal for a XML file describing the
Nagios external commands. It is not complete yet because I just worked
up to the DISABLE commands.

I would like to see some coments on it to understand if this approach
will be helpful.

Next steps would than be:

- define the remaining commands
- write a XML schema for it
- write a XSLT file to get a documentation of external commands out of
this XML file

There are more than one applications for it. I am thinking of an CLI
to the external command file, an automatism to generate a
documentation  about external commands supported and maybe a NEB
module to pass external commands to Nagios. What do you think about a
XML-RPC interface?

By the way I found some little typos / issues in the external command
documentation.

- At DISABLE_HOST_SVC_CHECKS you talk about "Enables" this should read
"Disables".
- From the description of CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_TIMERPERIOD it gets not
clear to me what this command is used for. Description seems very
similar to CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_TIMEPERIOD command.
- CHANGE_HOST_CHECK_TIMEPERIOD exists twice, second one should be
called CHANGE_HOST_CHECK_TIMERPERIOD
- CHANGE_RETRY_HOST_CHECK_INTERVAL does not need the option
service_description, right?

Thanks for your comments.

Tobias