Nagios 3.0 hanging (10/23 CVS)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 24 10:28:01 CEST 2007

Shad L. Lords wrote:
>>> Valgrind should be able to give a few hints. If you've got time to
>>> run Nagios
>>> under it on your system, it would most likely be very valuable.
>>
>> Not sure how to do this but I've got the time and  willingness to
>> learn. Just point me at some documentation and I'll plug away at it.
>> I've done a little googling and have run the program with this for
>> tonight:
>>
>> valgrind --leak-check=yes --time-stamp=yes
>> --log-file=/tmp/trace/nagios-valgrind nagios /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
>>
>> I'll make the results available tomorrow.  If you would like other
>> options please let me know which ones.
>
> Well that didn't take nearly as long to fail as previous attempts.  I've
> attached both the nagios.log and the valgrind save.  Let me know if
> there is anything else you need.

I've only browsed it briefly for now, but it looks as if some insignificant
leaks are happning when reading the config (one-time hit though, so not
very important). The macro releasing code seems to leak a bit too. That might
be sorted by the recent CVS commit. Other than that, the embedded perl
interpreter seems by far the most prominent leak.

In total, Nagios leaks about 0.8MiB / second on your system when valgrind is
running. Quite astonishing, really. Try without embedded perl. It should plug
the worst leak, and the rest shouldn't be enough for you to notice between
restarts.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se