Nagios 3.0 hanging (10/23 CVS)

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Wed Oct 24 03:12:34 CEST 2007

Shad L. Lords wrote:
>>> Valgrind should be able to give a few hints. If you've got time to
>>> run Nagios
>>> under it on your system, it would most likely be very valuable.
>>
>> Not sure how to do this but I've got the time and  willingness to
>> learn. Just point me at some documentation and I'll plug away at it.
>> I've done a little googling and have run the program with this for
>> tonight:
>>
>> valgrind --leak-check=yes --time-stamp=yes
>> --log-file=/tmp/trace/nagios-valgrind nagios /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
>>
>> I'll make the results available tomorrow.  If you would like other
>> options please let me know which ones.
>
> Well that didn't take nearly as long to fail as previous attempts.  I've
> attached both the nagios.log and the valgrind save.  Let me know if
> there is anything else you need.
>
> -Shad

The logs don't reveal much, as it appears you system was already out of
memory or file descriptors right after Nagios started.

A few minor leaks from valgrind have just been fixed in my latest CVS
post, but that's because I just rewrote 4k+ lines of macro code. Ugh.
Current CVS code might break if you nudge it just the right way - I'll
be finishing up loose ends on the macro code rewrite and testing tomorrow.

I noticed several leaks from embedded Perl.  That could be the cause of
the problem over a long period of time.

The question that comes to my mind though: why was your system out of
mem/files when Nagios started.  Usually if Nagios is the cause of such
problems, they'll disappear once the Nagios daemon is shutdown.  Perhaps
there was still a copy running somewhere?

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org