Nagios 3.0 hanging (10/22 CVS)

Shad L. Lords slords at lordsfam.net
Wed Oct 24 02:06:42 CEST 2007

>> I tried the latest CVS yesterday and started a strace from the very
>> beginning.  It took less then 5 hours for it to stop processing checks.
>> I've uploaded the compressed strace for anyone that is interested.  It is
>> about 5Mb in size.  You might be able to get more information out of it
>> if
>> you can see what leads up to the issue.
>>

> The first ENOMEM appears 13:32:39. The first fd leak seems to appear
> 13:32:41.
> It seems my first conclusion was in error. The ENOMEM's aren't the result
> of
> fd leaks; It's the other way around. Or rather, they're separate bugs, but
> Nagios does something wrong in the ENOMEM path of fork().
>
> Valgrind should be able to give a few hints. If you've got time to run
> Nagios
> under it on your system, it would most likely be very valuable.

Not sure how to do this but I've got the time and  willingness to learn.
Just point me at some documentation and I'll plug away at it. I've done a
little googling and have run the program with this for tonight:

valgrind --leak-check=yes --time-stamp=yes --log-file=/tmp/trace/nagios-valgrind
nagios /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

I'll make the results available tomorrow.  If you would like other options
please let me know which ones.

-Shad