Incorrect ping service warnings

rajesh gsri11 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jun 3 09:24:16 CEST 2007

thanks marc this problem was started after adding two hosts i try to restart the nagios where i did wrong instead of restarting nagios process i started nagios using the following command

  /usr/local/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

  i suspect because already one nagios process is running on top of that i used above command so where it went wrong.My network is working fine it is only problem with nagios can some one please help me how to fix this problem is there anything i can reset nagios so that it would start checking as normal

  thanks for your help

Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> [...]
RTA
> = 7.41 ms
> [1180822238] SERVICE ALERT: if_core;PING;WARNING;SOFT;1;PING WARNING -
> Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 156.42 ms
> [1180822245] SERVICE ALERT: if_lo1;PING;WARNING;SOFT;1;PING WARNING -
> Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 129.96 ms
> [1180822245] SERVICE ALERT: Cat;PING;OK;HARD;4;PING OK - Packet loss =
0%,
> RTA = 89.97 ms
> [1180822245] SERVICE ALERT: if_et0;PING;OK;HARD;4;PING OK - Packet
loss =
> 0%, RTA = 78.87 ms
> [1180822246] SERVICE ALERT: s01;PING;OK;SOFT;2;PING OK - Packet loss =
0%,
> RTA = 57.82 ms
> All the hosts started flopping service alerts and host alerts
>

> define service{
> use generic-service ; Name
of
> service template to use
> host_name ImnV
> service_description PING

> check_command check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
> }

Here you appear to be telling nagios that any RTA greater than 100ms is
WARNING and anything above 500ms is CRITICAL. Based on the log entries
above your network is experiencing latencies above 500ms and setting a
CRITICAL status as you've specified. It looks like you either need to
determine the cause of your network latencies and get them back under
100ms or increase the values that nagios will notify you at.

--
Marc