Nagios running on windows

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:09:10 CEST 2007

Yishai,

You may want to re-review your objectives/ and rereview what nagios can do
for you.

I find nagios good at monitoring on many levels, while some other monitoring
systems may be great for checking availibility, nagios can be leveraged for
detailed performance informaition or availibility.

As Andreas has expressed, It would be best to add a Linux/Unix host running
Nagios to your network instead of trying to get nagios running on an
existing windows host.  Assuming you use Linux all the software you need to
run Nagios are availible without licensing fees, thus all you need is some
hardware to run it and an older machine may work well during your testing
phase before you roll it out to the larger network.  Who knows your network
may be small enough to keep it on an older box.

If your concern is that your primary network is mostly windows and you want
to be monitoring these windows servers, Nagios can do it.  (but this is not
what you has asked in your email)  Nagios is run on a single Monitoring
Server (or multiple servers see docs)  then Other hosts like windows are
polled using plugins (active checks) or the Windows hosts will push (passive
checks, machine being monitored initiated the data flow to the Monitoring
Host)

Nagios has several plugins to monitor Window Servers, to name a few: Most
require a plugin installed on the WIndows host
SNMP, NC_NET, NS_Client, NS_Client++, NRPE
there are more check out nagiosexchange.org look up plugins then choose
windows.

Good luck
Tony (author of NC_NEt)