Nagios running on windows

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jul 3 16:45:03 CEST 2007

Yishai Hadas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are evaluating Nagios.
>
> One of the key points in our decision whether to choose it as a
> Health-Monitor framework is the "Windows issue".
>
>>From the documentation and the sources it seems that Nagios is
> Linux/Unix software.
>
> Assuming that we want Nagios to run as a framework on Windows that will
> monitor other Windows machines:
>
> My Questions:
>
> 1) Was Nagios ported in the past to windows?

No.

> 2) Is there any known plan to do it?

No.

> 3) What is the effort that should be invested to do it?

Either a complete rewrite, or porting of a lenient POSIX-compatible
thread-library, along with the popen() API.

I would budget 6 man-months for a complete rewrite on Windows. After
that, you can start worrying about porting the plugins (some of which
will work out of the box, as they're much less complex).

However, you can get by by installing Nagios on a single Linux/Unix
server and then let it monitor your windows servers. After all, it
makes sense to have the monitoring system run on the most stable
platform you have in the network.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se