nagios-cvs: reload/restart breaks external command file?

Gerd Mueller gmueller at netways.de
Fri Feb 23 15:23:00 CET 2007

> 1. Does the web interface say that external commands are disabled?

I am not sure if it's really the external commands Nagios or it's just
the logging. I could send an external command via the webinterface but
did not check the process info. But anyway no entry about external
commands does appear inside the logfie.

> 2. Don't delete the retention file right away.  The program{} entry at
> the beginning of the file should contain information needed to debug
> this problem.  Perhaps something is happening that is causing Nagios to
> write the incorrect values to the retention file, thus disabling
> external commands when it reads from the file after it restarts.

I won't do this anymore :-). This morning we run  into a situation where
the master server (the nsca receiver) was'nt able to fork any process
anymore. BTW is the version string always up to date? Because I got the
source Wednesday out of the cvs?

info {
	created=1172172211
	version=3.0prealpha-02082007
	}

program {
	modified_host_attributes=0
	modified_service_attributes=0
	enable_notifications=1
	active_service_checks_enabled=1
	passive_service_checks_enabled=1
	active_host_checks_enabled=1
	passive_host_checks_enabled=1
	enable_event_handlers=1
	obsess_over_services=0
	obsess_over_hosts=0
	check_service_freshness=1
	check_host_freshness=0
	enable_flap_detection=0
	enable_failure_prediction=1
	process_performance_data=1
	global_host_event_handler=
	global_service_event_handler=
	next_comment_id=1
	next_downtime_id=1
	next_event_id=3857
	next_notification_id=371
	}

> I just wrote a script that restarted Nagios 100 times using an external
> command, and submitted a passive check after each restart. Nagios came
> through okay, so the problem will take a bit of work to fix.

Hm, please keep in mind that we only use passiv hosts (~3500)  and
service on this machine. Could this be a cause of these problems?

Gerd