nagios-cvs: reload/restart breaks external command file?

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Feb 22 20:27:37 CET 2007

Gerd Mueller wrote:
> no, everthing looks fine. Removed every single var file and tried a
> restart after each. nothing helped. I am pretty sure that I am
> missing something and don't believe such a major bug would exist...
>
> Gerd
>
> -- Ursprüngl. Mitteil. -- Betreff:	Re: [Nagios-devel] nagios-cvs:
> reload/restart breaks	external command file? Von:	Ton Voon
> <ton.voon at altinity.com> Datum:		22.02.2007 18:02

>>> I don't have to do that. Just stop and restart. So maybe you are
>>> seeing something new. Also what version are you running?
>> nagios-cvs - Nagios3
>
> Do you get a segfault? Or do you get errors in nagios.log saying "did
>  not exit properly"?
>
> Ton

Gerd -

Does this happen regularly on successive attempts?  Two things to look
at when this happens:

1. Does the web interface say that external commands are disabled?

2. Don't delete the retention file right away.  The program{} entry at
the beginning of the file should contain information needed to debug
this problem.  Perhaps something is happening that is causing Nagios to
write the incorrect values to the retention file, thus disabling
external commands when it reads from the file after it restarts.

I just wrote a script that restarted Nagios 100 times using an external
command, and submitted a passive check after each restart. Nagios came
through okay, so the problem will take a bit of work to fix.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org