NSCA using PROCESS_FILE

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Feb 22 20:33:34 CET 2007

Any takers (Thomas?) on writing a HOWTO on doing this?  I was going to
write up some documentation on doing bulk transfers with NSCA and using
the perfdata files for data output.  Since I'm busy with Nagios 3 docs,
this will have to wait a week or so.

If someone wants to write a HOWTO first, I'll ship them an
as-yet-unreleased new Nagios t-shirt that is sure to get me and anyone
who wears it in trouble with the NSA or the Department of Homeland
Security. :-)

Here's what I was going to writeup:

1. Use perfdata file to write passive check information to a file in the
format used by send_nsca

2. Rotate the perfdata file every 60 seconds

3. A cron job runs every minute and pipes the rotated perfdata file to
the send_nsca client.

Bam - bulk data transfer at 60 second intervals.  This should help on
both the central and distributed servers.  A better performance increase
will happen when the NSCA daemon uses the PROCESS_FILE command when it
receives bulk results from the send_nsca clients.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org