Inheritance

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Feb 6 17:01:44 CET 2007

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> John Relph wrote:
>> Christoph Maser writes:
>> See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#options
>>
>>   ... if all the options on the Options directive are preceded by a +
>>   or - symbol, the options are merged. Any options preceded by a + are
>>   added to the options currently in force, and any options preceded by
>>   a - are removed from the options currently in force.
>>
>> Which basically says you can do this:
>>
>>   hostgroups +linux-servers,web-servers
>>

> I read that to mean "+linux-servers,+web-servers" which would indeed make
> sense. Negating should probably be done with '!' to be consistent with
> the rest of the nagios configuration.

Yep, it basically means + (linux-servers,web-servers).  The + sign
simply means to append the text that follows with whatever text is
inherited.  The symbol could always be changed to prevent confusion, but
  I think its probably the best symbol for representing what it does.

Group exclusion can be handled with adding the bang (!) symbol to a
hostgroup name, as in:

	+ linux-servers,!web-servers

Note that the ! symbol is not currently supported in the hostgroups
directive, but it will be shortly.

It is implied that object names that don't have a preceding (!) are
intended to be added to the list, so there shouldn't be a need to have
to add a plus sign before each name.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---