More config file madness add intersection to group operations

John Rouillard rouilj+nagiosdev at cs.umb.edu
Tue Feb 6 03:03:52 CET 2007

Hi all:

Is 3.0 going to support the intersection operation between hostgroups?
Currently you can do:

   web_servers,!boston

to get web servers that are not in boston, but trying to get web
servers that are in boston means adding every host to a site (e.g. boston,
miami, london, orlando) and then:

  web_servers, !orlando, !miami, !london

this is a maintenance nightmare when adding new sites and doesn't
express what you want. (I chose a simple example here. In some of my
configs I have 10 or 15 different hostgroups.)

What I would like to see is support for the intersection operation.
So web_servers in boston would be:

   web_servers, &boston

and production tier 1 web servers in boston that are not dns servers
would be

   web_servers, &boston, &production_tier_1, !dns_servers

The addition of intersection provides all the standard operations of
set theory: intersection, difference and union.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard