Bug Reporting / Issue Tracking System ?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 6 23:15:29 CET 2007

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:28 +0100, Holger Weiss wrote:
>> * "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> [2007-12-06 11:19]:
>>> Am I going crazy or is there no public system for formally tracking bug
>>> reports / feature requests?
>
> HW:
>
> It would add a nominal level of formality to the releng process that
> might attract attention & impress individuals examining the merits and
> feasibility of the code-base for use in large production environments.
>
> Consider the successful large-scale F/OSS projects that champion a
> tracking system:
>
> - Apache HTTPD
> - Samba
> - OpenLDAP
> - Mozilla
> - OpenOffice
> - FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD

Consider git and Linux, which doesn't. A btts isn't a recipe for success,
and one that doesn't see frequent use is worse than having none at all.
Since Ethan seems to be away on semi-extended vacation at the moment,
I'm not sure what, if anything can be done about it right now though.

> I'll donate any server class hardware required to host the system that
> the development team desires.  Just let me know.

Much appreciated. I'm still not sure it's worth it though. Serious bugs
are generally fixed rather quickly. Those that are debatable ("I think
Nagios should work like this: ...") are often sent to nagios-devel@
first anyways, so duplicating the discussion in the bugtracker would
just be tedious work that no-one would do.

Feature-requests are usually gathered through the list too, and the
ones deemed cool and fun to work on often get implemented the first
rainy day ;-)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se