coredumps

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Dec 5 13:22:46 CET 2007

Andrew Ivanov wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> It goes in the wrong direction compared to just about everything else that
>> works on Unixy systems, where you have a config-file to set your normal
>> parameters (usually requiring root to change them), and the environment
>> to override some of that if you need to test something.
>>
>> With your patch, "HOME=/put/core-dumps/here nagios -f nagios.cfg" would
>> no longer put core dumps in /put/core-dumps/here. That'd be a sad thing.
>> If you really want this functionality you should write it as a NEB-module
>> instead. It's really quite easy.
>
> Can it be that many Nagios community people have to set $HOME to
> ~nagios because of no homedir determination?
>
> $HOME points to ~root unless explicitly set, and surely nagios can't write
> there.

The point is that when run as root, nagios really shouldn't dump core,
and especially not if it has read anything in /etc, since the coredump
can then contain snippets of files best kept for the eyes of root only.

> And.. I was confused with the fact that '$HOME' is not nagios's home.

You don't have to start nagios as root. You can do

	su - nagios -c "nagios -f nagios.cfg"

in your startup script.

> I just wanted to make things a little easier to configure.

In that case, make it a config variable in nagios.cfg. Something along
the lines of "runtime_directory" or something should work ok, and make
nagios bail if it can't change to that directory when daemonizing. It
doesn't change directory at all unless it goes into daemon mode.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se