NDO - why not innodb?

Kevin Menard kmenard at servprise.com
Mon Aug 20 23:28:57 CEST 2007

On 8/20/07 3:00 PM, "Hendrik Bäcker" <andurin at process-zero.de> wrote:

> Another point may be the responsibility.
> If you say: "Install OpenDBX before you try to install NDO" you drop
> some new users into a carrousel of recursiv compiling each tool with
> different dependencies.
> This might lead into a big red 'STOP' sign for the beginners und I think
> the NDOUtils are getting more and more to a big bucket of nagios related
> informations.
> With NDO in the background you are able to get information out of nagios
> without a direct access to your nagios host, faster access, availibility
> reports within seconds instead of waiting minutes to parse the logfiles.
>
> NDO might be the favorite addon for a many users, users with small
> installations and even users with huge installations.

If it's that big of a deal, I'm sure it could be included and compiled
statically.  I haven't checked license to be sure.

You do raise another interesting point about getting started with small
deployments.  It may be worthwhile to compile in sqlite, which can be used
in an embedded fashion.  It'd be a great way for new users to get started
without having to bother with setting up an external RDBMS.

--
Kevin