NDO - why not innodb?

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Mon Aug 20 21:00:58 CEST 2007

Hi Ethan,
hi list,

Ethan Galstad schrieb:
> OpenDBX (http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX) looks like
> it might be a good abstraction layer.  Not sure how DB-specific table
> maintenance tasks would be handled (e.g. vacuuming Postgres tables after
> a large # of deletes).
>
> I also wonder about performance hits.  The decision between using MyISAM
> or InnoDB tables might be more of a non-issue if an abstraction layer is
> used.
>
> Comments/ideas?

Only my simple opinion:
DB Abstraction is a fine thing - for the developer. He doesn't have to
think about the specials behind but the abstraction layer has to know
the driver specific stuff.

IMHO each single layer between might be a bottleneck for the performance
cause different libraries are calling different libraries.

You are just moving the responsibility who takes care about the
necessary driver - I guessed that this moving goes to the account of
performance, but OpenDBX is showing some performance tests and the
results looks not so bad:

MySQL native: 	227 seconds
OpenDBX mysql: 	230 seconds
LibDBI mysql: 	251 seconds

All results for the same test queries containing 1.000.000 basic queries.

So I would say: What are 3 seconds on 1 Million transactions on a near 4
minutes runtime?

I was realy amazed about my faulty thinking.

Another point may be the responsibility.
If you say: "Install OpenDBX before you try to install NDO" you drop
some new users into a carrousel of recursiv compiling each tool with
different dependencies.
This might lead into a big red 'STOP' sign for the beginners und I think
the NDOUtils are getting more and more to a big bucket of nagios related
informations.
With NDO in the background you are able to get information out of nagios
without a direct access to your nagios host, faster access, availibility
reports within seconds instead of waiting minutes to parse the logfiles.

NDO might be the favorite addon for a many users, users with small
installations and even users with huge installations.

You need s.th. easy to install for the small users and good performance
for the huge ones.

Hard to say what might be the best way.

Just my twenty cents. :-)

Hendrik