ndoutils and historical performance data

mike conigliaro conigliaro at getproactivenow.com
Fri Apr 13 23:42:07 CEST 2007

hey guys,

im working on a project for my company that generates reports/graphs from nagios
performance data.  im currently using a combination of ndoutils and perfparse to
accomplish this (ndoutils for current or very recent data, and perfparse for
very old data).  this works ok right now, but id like to get rid of perfparse
altogether in order to simplify my setup.

ndoutils works great (i love that its integrated with nagios, whereas perfparse
feels like a bit of a hack to me), but i was disappointed to find that ndoutils
does not appear to store the parsed version of the performance data.  ie: you
just get a field with something like this:

'CPU0'=0%;80;95;; 'CPU1'=2%;80;95;;

this means that if i try to generate a graph from it, i need to parse every row
myself, which i suspect will create a pretty serious performance bottleneck
(especially with larger date/time ranges).

my question is, are there any plans to store performance data in a way that is
more friendly for report generation?  or am i just missing something?

--
Mike Conigliaro
ProActive Technologies
conigliaro at getproactivenow.com