Feature Request

Adam Augustine augustineas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:36:56 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
> Adam Augustine wrote:
> >
> > We use the availability reports extensively, and there are a few bugs
> > that we have fixed over the last couple of years as well as some
> > additional functionality we have added.
[snip]
> > If there is interest, I think we have them mostly broken out enough
> > that I could post them somewhere or to the list.
> >

> This sounds very interesting indeed. If you could post the patches to this
> mailing list I'd be most grateful. :)
>
> --
> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Here they are. BTW, Bob (bobi at netshel.net) is the one who did all the
work on these. There is some debugging code still in them, which is
mostly IFDEFed out, so it should not affect performance. We just never
cleaned them up for public viewing. :-(

avail.c.patch - This is a rollup patch for our availability stuff.
Glancing through it, besides the other stuff mentioned previously,
there is an option to format the report as a CSV file, for importing
into whatever. We also change some of the default choices to match our
environment (Assume initial states OK, and such). Again, there is a
drop down variable that overrides the REMOTE_USER cgi environment
variable to change "views" into Nagios. This is something that defeats
some security (as far as restricting views to authorized people) for
most normal uses of Nagios, so you will probably want to edit that out
for normal companies. The "SERVICEGROUP SUMMARY" page also has a
corresponding "HOSTGROUP SUMMARY" page that we added for completeness,
but have never used (and may still be buggy). Also, the values are
displayed with 3 decimal places to allow for the whole five nines of
availability thing, though our polling frequency doesn't allow us to
be that accurate (yet, DNX will help).

downtime.c.patch, downtime.h.patch, logging.c.patch,
xdddefault.c.patch - patches to support better reporting of scheduled
downtime. Particularly, changing the host/service downtime alert to a
STATE message (CURRENT/INITIAL HOST/SERVICE STATE).

objects.c.patch, objects.h.patch, xodtemplate.c.patch,
xodtemplate.h.patch - SLA Target patch.

I think these are all the patches necessary to get everything to work.
Let me know if I am missing anything. We have done some other patches
as well, but I don't think these are dependent on anything else.

We discovered a possible bug in the scheduled downtime reporting on
Friday and we are working to fix it. In certain cases not all the
start-of-scheduled-downtime entries are properly reported. This was
one of the things we were trying to fix with the second set of
patches, but it looks like we might have missed a corner case.

We haven't looked, but there was an avail.c patch posted to this list
recently that may be covered by what we have done, or it may be a fix
for a problem we haven't noticed yet at all. :-)

Any feedback on these would be great. If there is enough interest, we
certainly would like them in the upstream (and may submit some
others).

Adam Augustine