GWT interface

James Harr james.harr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:03:14 CEST 2007

Most web app frameworks support json, xmlrpc, or some form of getting
direct data from the application rather than templating. Even if we do
it with ruby on rails, GWT can just use those interfaces provided on
the server side. Basically it'd be a simple add-on (sticking html +
javascript somewhere on a webserver) if those interfaces were provided
by some other means. So it's still worth looking at, even if we do
decide to go some other route for a better web interface.

As far as what William was talking about. If you want to do AJAX by
hand that's fine. GWT is there so you don't have to worry about
inter-browser rendering discrepancies and javascript bugs/quirks.
They've figured that out so you can basically focus on writing your
application, not messing with javascript. Just remember that AJAX is
just techniques, no real new technology anyway. So doing a javascript
open window call to show new things is no different than doing it with
GWT, except GWT provides a toolkit that handles browser bugs for you.
Once you cross the line of making javascript calls, you've already
started down that path of "new age techniques" and you might as well
look at tools that are going to make your webapp more reliable and
easier for you to develop.

Anyway, I'd like to work with Tobias on this and see where we get.
Once there's a decent demo/prototype working, we can discuss whether
or not it will fit in with nagios. If it's decided we still want a
standard non-interactive html interface, we can still make a GWT
interface an option.