Patch for Plugin "No Output"

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 1 12:13:12 CET 2006

bobi at netshel.net wrote:
> That's wonderful, but what about capturing stderr for diagnostics?
>
> This is where a good portion of the problems appear when something goes
> wrong and needs to be debugged?
>
> I think it would be a grand idea make the parent process prove stderr
> diagnostics if stdout has nothing to say.

Could be, could be. However,the main source of problem I have when I see
"(No output returned from plugin)" is that I somehow used the wrong
macro, futzed the argument order, or forgot to provide an argument. In a
world designed to solve all *my* problems fast and easy, the message in
the GUI (where one first spots this problem, usually), would look
something like this:

---8<---8<---8<---
No output returned on STDOUT from running the following command as user
<user>:
<full command>

STDERR has this to say:
<stderr output>
---8<---8<---8<---

> As an aside, is there a way I can get involved in the 3.x series
> discussions/development?  If nothing else, I'd sure like to see what's
> coming around the corner and perhaps help out...

I think you're in it, more or less. AFAIK, changes to the nagios code
aren't pushed to sorefrog CVS until 3.0-alpha hits the streets, more or
less, so finding any code for it would mean badgering Ethan into sending
whatever he's got wherever he's got it. It would be neat to have the
development taking place more in public though, as this would let more
people peek at the code and hack up improvements and suchlike. I also
think this would prevent some of the inevitable 3.0-bugs and would quite
possibly speed up the introduction of new features quite a bit.

Check out list-archives for git at vger.kernel.org on how this works in
practice, although that one uses a distributed scm, which certainly
makes it easier for random hackers to scratch their itches.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se