feature request

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Fri May 26 21:36:17 CEST 2006

Feature:
Recurring Downtime

Justification:
Here in my world, we deal with servers connecting to stock exchanges,
etc.  Maintenance can only be done in planned time windows, and further
we stagger maintenance to avoid, say, working on two of a pair in a
failover set.  As we're global, these maintenance windows are not all
"lined up" for our convenience, as they vary with the region of the
exchange.

Since there are people in the NOC actively observing the Nagios screens
even while some systems might be in maintenance windows, I filter the
status screen to not show hosts/services in downtime or acknowledged (by
default).

I'm only explaining this to illustrate why setting up elaborate
check_period/notification_period set-ups is not very reasonable for our
purposes.  It would nearly be to the point where every host would have
its own, and many services would, as well, have their own set of
timeperiods.  At 600ish hosts and 7000+ services, this is, of course,
asking to flirt with a work-induced stroke.

So.

Recurring Downtime.  It's the Next Big Thing, I swear.

I'll also send you cookies.