Service dependencies

Dirk De Coninck Dirk.DeConinck at tst-us.com
Fri May 26 20:31:00 CEST 2006

All,

I am using Nagios 2.2 to monitor about 70 windows servers. Besides the
usual ping to check the uptime of the host I am using the Nagios NRPE_NT
host agent to check the drive space utilization and the status of some
of the critical services (Mcafee, iSCSI, Snapdrive, MS Cluster service...).

When the NRPE agent fails, I get off course several notifications for
all the checks that rely on the agent. I wanted to add dependencies and
make those services dependent on the NRPE status, but I have the
following problem:
All the windows servers are part of a hostgroup. When I defined the
service definition for the drive space monitoring and the services, I
used the hostgroup instead of a definition for every host separate.
For every service dependency definitions, one has to define the
dependent_host_name/, the /dependent_service_description/, the
/host_name/ and /the service_description. If I have to do this then it
will require me to create about 300 dependency definitions!

Is it possible to somehow make the following dependency definition work:

define servicedependency{
	hostgroup_name			windows-servers
	service_description		NRPE_NT
	dependent_service_description	Drive_C
	}

Could we have the dependency check assume that when the
dependent_host_name is missing we want it to refer to the same host? Or
could it be possible to define $HOSTADDRESS$
<http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/macros.html#hostaddress> as the
dependent_host_name?

How about the possibility to define a service dependency in the actual
service definition instead of having to do this in a separate config
file (same for host dependency definitions)?

Thanks for any help you can offer with this.

Kind regards,
Dirk.