Removing host checks for non-OK passive results

Bruce Campbell nagios-devel at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Fri May 26 11:19:39 CEST 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Ton Voon wrote:

> On 24 May 2006, at 14:23, Bruce Campbell wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 May 2006, Ton Voon wrote:
>>> Going back to the original problem, would a retry_check_interval for host
>>> checks help with this particular case?
>>
>> I don't believe so.  Nagios will still execute the host_check command each
>> time a service on that host has a non-OK state.  Since you can have a dead
>> host which still responds to ping, this is a lot of executions of the
>> host_check command when you have a lot of services on said host.
>
> Sorry, I was unclear. I meant going back to Jan Kratochvil's original problem
> of the WAN link having outages of up to a minute. I think having a
> retry_check_interval would help there.

Assuming that the behaviour of the retry_check_interval was to quell any
attempt by Nagios to run the host_check command during that interval, it
would assist.

I suspect that the problem at heart is a difference between the
notification being generated after max_check_attempts executions of the
host_check command, and not after the intuitive max_check_attempts *
check_interval time.  Since the host checks are run on-demand in the case
of a failing service, the max_check_attempts count goes down pretty
quickly.

--
   Bruce Campbell

   High Voltage finds a fool to be an excellent path to ground.