Removing host checks for non-OK passive results

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed May 17 10:13:33 CEST 2006

On 16 May 2006, at 18:27, Jason Martin wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:03:10PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
>> Hi Ethan!
>>
>> We found that Nagios is making a host check for every non-OK passive
>> result received. We don't think that is necessary because if a
>> passive result is received, then the host must be okay! Details and
> That is not necessairily true. In distributed mode, one Nagios
> might send a service check result to another Nagios via NSCA
> hence passive check result.  The host being monitored may be
> down but you'll still get passive check results for it and don't
> want the host assumed up.

After thinking some more, you are right.

Distributed monitoring can be setup with:

1. the master receiving passive service checks and checking the host
(the only way for Nagios 1.x)

2. the master receiving passive service and host check results from
the slave (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/distributed.html)

This patch is fine for case 2 - this is how we setup our distributed
environment. But the patch would break case 1.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725