[Nagios-users] bug with a cyrillic text in host alias

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon May 15 20:48:47 CEST 2006

nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Nagios-users] bug with a cyrillic text in host alias
>
> Hi there!
>
> I'm trying to make nagios show cyrillic text (in HOSTALIAS). After
> some simple changes, it becomes to show correct symbols in
> statusmap.cgi In all over CGIs cyrillic symbols are shown perfectly.
> But, I can't undestand, why does Nagios send empty (space) symbols
> instead of cyrillic text in Notification e-mails. For example, I have
> a host named Host1 and some alias for it in cyrillic (KOI8). Locale of
> nagios user is KOI8, web-interface show cyr tex correctly too, I can
> send e-mail with cyr symbols from nagios user shell. But the e-mail,
> thatis generated by nagios process still bad.
>
> Can anyone show me the place in C++ that is responsible for genetating
> e-mails with notifications?

For a service notification: Line 666 of notifications.c

/* run the command */
my_system(processed_command,notification_timeout,&early_timeout,&exectim
e,NULL,0);

The subroutine begins on line 575 --

/* notify a specific contact about a service problem or recovery */
int notify_contact_of_service(contact *cntct, service *svc, int type,
char *ack_author, char *ack_data, int escalated){

Note that nagios has no idea what the command actually does. It just
runs the command specified by the user's service_notification_commands.
That may result in an e-mail, a page or anything else.

--
Marc