some feature requests

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Jun 29 21:00:06 CEST 2006

I'll reply to the original message, since this thread has gotten a lot
of attention. See my comments inline...

Volker Maibaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some feature requests for nagios:
>
> - set contactgroups on host basis for services. So that if no contact is
> set for a service check the host contact group is used. That would make
> configuration a lot easier.

This sounds good - I'll add it to the 3.x code.  Based on Marlo's
earlier post to thist list, I'll probably be adding a "contacts"
directive to host/service/hostescalation/serviceescalation definitions.
  The "contacts" option for services will default to the value
definition in the host, unless its overridden.  Does anyone have
objections to this behavior?

FYI, Nagios 3.x allows you to null out string options in object
definitions.  So if you didn't want a service to automatically inherit
it's host's contactgroups variable, you could null it out like this...

define service{
	host 		abc
	service 	xyz
	contactgroups	null
	}

> - It would be nice if it would be possible to categorise the criticality
> of services and hosts. E.g. critical / uncritical / unimportant. So that
> the operating could easily decide if they have to call somebody during
> midnight or if the problem can wait till the next morning.
> I know this could also be done by host and servicegroups, but it would
> be nicer to have this as a parameter. Depending on the category the
> host/service could be highlighted with different colours in the
> web-frontend.
[snip]

Nagios 3.x will allow for user-specified custom variables in
host/service/contact definitions.  That means that you'll be able to add
your own "criticality" variable and access its value in macros.  For
example, to define a variable called "criticality", you'll prepend it
with an underscore as follows...

define host{
	host		abc
	_criticality	low
	}

define service{
	host		abc
	service		def
	_criticality	medium
	}

To access the value of the variables, you'll be able to use the
following macros:

	$_HOSTCRITICALITY$
	$_SERVICECRITICALITY$

or the following environment variables:

	NAGIOS__HOSTCRITICALITY
	NAGIOS__SERVICECRITICALITY

The purpose of the prepended underscore is to prevent the variable name
from colliding with future options that are added to definitions.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org