some feature requests

Volker Maibaum volker.maibaum at eberspaecher.com
Wed Jun 28 18:01:00 CEST 2006

> For this purpose hostgroups would be much better. The technical staff
> can watch the hostgroup summary page and easily see if they need to
> bother with calling in the expertise. The naming-convention
> suggestion
> is very good too.

Yes, I have no doubt about that it can be done by hostgroups or by other
means. It's just not convenient. The hostgroup summary page is IMHO not
very clear. We have a lot of hostgroups and most of the hosts appear in
more than one hostgroups. So if one host causes a service warning, the
hostgroup overview / summary pages indicate that there is more than one
problem (as the problem shows up in each hostgroup of this host). I
think it's a bit confusing.

Right now we use an integration into twiki. You click on an icon next to
the service name and get a twiki page with details about the service and
host. I can write on each of these pages if the service is critical or
not. The problem is that the operators have to click on each check to
see if it is a critical check. This is also not convenient.

In a network monitoring system I want to see all that is really critical
at one glance. I think it wouldn't be much effort to add such
functionality in nagios 3. Or maybe this could be implemented with
custom variables + changes to the new web interface of nagios 3?

regards,

Volker