Debian Sarge - Delay in log return when Nagios restart

Bruce Campbell nagios-devel at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Thu Jun 22 16:24:22 CEST 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Le Merlus Romain wrote:

> Do you notice a problem with debian sarge when you restart nagios ?

The problem is not specific to debian sarge.

> Seems like we have to wait quite long to have log returns (Approximately
> 20 minutes). In our case, we see it with perfparse, the service-perfdata
> isn't created and we have to wait a long time before informations go back
> in DB.
> The case appears with large and small configuration : 85 hosts / 500
> services and 15 hosts / 60 services.
> Problem appears both on Nagios 2.4 and Nagios 1.3

When Nagios is starting up, and until it settles down, Nagios will
occasionally reschedule checks to be run in the future.  The effect of
this is that certain checks will not be executed for some time after
Nagios starts.  In worse cases, this can be several hours after Nagios
starts.

You can tweak the auto_reschedule_checks, max_host_check_spread,
max_service_check_spread, max_concurrent_checks and
service_reaper_frequency variables to get around this in your particular
setup.  Sometimes what works for one setup may not work for another setup
due to how dependencies (implicit or otherwise) are set up, the number of
host checks vs service checks and so forth.  Search for these names in the
mailing list for some solutions.

My own workaround for the issue is to execute most of the service checks
externally to Nagios and pass the results via the external command file
back to Nagios.

--
   Bruce Campbell