service-perfdata keeps growing

Rui Manuel Almeida Fragoso rui.fragoso at cgd.pt
Fri Jan 27 13:21:41 CET 2006

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the file that stores the performance data (usually 'service-perf'). Despite the fact that I choosed to hourly rotate the logs (nagios.cfg), this one tends to keep growing indefinitely. When I  try to truncate it (with '> service-perfdata' or 'cat /dev/null' or 'dd if=/dev/zero of=service-perfdata count=1' for example) the file is zeroed but only momentarily, because nagios keeps the file opened (fuser service-perfdata corroborates this), and therefore the size of the file grows as if nothing has happened.

Does anyone have a clue for how to solve this? Is this the right place to ask for this kind of help?

Regards,

Rui Manuel Fragoso | rfragoso at gmail.com