2.0rc1 contact definition docco V.S. daemon inconsistency

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 6 22:20:16 CET 2006

Ethan --

I've encountered an inconsistency between the documented requirements
for a contact definition and what the daemon is insisting upon and I'm
not sure which is correct. I expect that the documented requirements are
what are desired but...

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#contact

I tried adding a contact as follows --

define contact {
    contact_name                   test
    alias                          Marc
    service_notification_period    none
    host_notification_period       none
    service_notification_options   n
    host_notification_options      n
    }

But verification complained as follows --

"Error: Contact name, alias, or email address and pager number are NULL
 Error: Could not register contact (config file
'/usr/local/nagios-2.0/etc/ena_config/contacts.cfg', starting on line
136)"

Adding an email token and verifying again yields --

"Error: Contact 'test' has no service notification commands defined!
 Error: Contact 'test' has no host notification commands defined!"

I ended up with --

define contact {
    contact_name                   test
    alias                          Marc
    service_notification_period    none
    host_notification_period       none
    service_notification_options   n
    host_notification_options      n
    email                          foo at example.f
    service_notification_commands  service-notify-by-email
    host_notification_commands     host-notify-by-email
    }

email, service_notification_commands and host_notification_commands are
documented as being optional and that would make sense for a view-only
user.

I've looked at the code but I don't feel comfortable submitting a patch
(I can read and mostly understand C but not program in it). It looks
like the tests for email are at 2107 and 2132 of common/objects.c and
the tests for service_notificaiton_commands and host_notification
commands are at 2077 and 2102 of base/config.c respectfully.

Thanks,

--
Marc