Buggy debug output from nrpe since 2.1

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Feb 23 19:18:35 CET 2006

On 21 Feb 2006 at 17:45, Gerhard Lausser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if you set debug=1 in the nrpe.cfg, you will find garbage in your
> syslog like this: Feb 20 01:37:43 localhost nrpe[32333]: Connection
> from \210\xf1^D^H^X \202\xbf0\xab\xf1\xb7 closed. With the
> introduction of tcp_wrapper support, two lines were forgotten, where
> the IP of a connecting host was stored in a string. This uninitialized
> string is then later used for the "connection closed" message. You can
> download the patch at
> http://people.consol.de/~lausser/nagios/nrpe-2.3-connecting-host.patch
> BTW..i really miss the allowed_hosts option. We have separate teams
> for nagios and the operating systems themselves and i liked the
> possibility to control access to nrpe for myself, even without the
> strenght of tcp_wrappers. Now have to beg another team to setup the
> files and make then entries. Couldn't we have the old mechanism at
> leat as a fallback, if nrpe was compiled without tcp_wrapper support?
> I will gladly create a patch if there is enough interest.
>
> Greetings from munich,
> Gerhard

The garbage message was fixed in yesterday's 2.4 release of NRPE.  Re-
adding the allowed_hosts option might be a good fallback for setups
like yours or on systems that don't support TCP wrappers.  I imagine
that the code from earlier releases of the NRPE daemon could just be
added back in with just a few tweaks.  If you can't get a patch
together, I can take a look at doing this next week.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org