NSCA leaving network ports in TIME_WAIT

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Feb 10 21:47:00 CET 2006

On 10 Feb 2006, at 13:29, Ton Voon wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anyone else seen this with the latest NSCA?
>
> Running a send_nsca to an nsca daemon appears to leave a port in
> TIME_WAIT state. On my 2.6 Debian and on a Redhat ES4, after I've
> run a send_nsca, I get in netstat -an:
>
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:52940         127.0.0.1:10123
> TIME_WAIT
>
> (I'm testing on port 10123, though it also occurs on port 5667).

After further investigation, it seems this may not be a "bad"
scenario. Using wget on a local webserver gives a TIME_WAIT port
hanging around as well.

So, I think this can be closed.

The reason I've gone down this path is because it seems that NSCA
"hangs" sometimes, but I haven't narrowed down the reason yet. Its
probably due to incompetence on my part.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725