NSCA leaving network ports in TIME_WAIT

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Feb 10 14:29:56 CET 2006

Hi!

Has anyone else seen this with the latest NSCA?

Running a send_nsca to an nsca daemon appears to leave a port in
TIME_WAIT state. On my 2.6 Debian and on a Redhat ES4, after I've run
a send_nsca, I get in netstat -an:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:52940         127.0.0.1:10123
TIME_WAIT

(I'm testing on port 10123, though it also occurs on port 5667).

Weirdly enough, this port is not left open on Mac OS X 10.4.4.

This also happens with NSCA 2.4.

I've attached a tar which is to be dropped into the top level of the
nsca tarball. This has a subdirectory called tests and if you change
in there and run "make test", it will run the test. Ethan, maybe you
could include this in the distribution as a sanity test. I plan on
adding to the tests, including a stress test.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725